MANAGE PERSONAL WORK PRIORITIES AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
1. How do you see yourself as a role model at work and how do you maintain personal performance in varying work conditions, work contexts and contingencies?
As an effective team player, I’m well aware of my duties and responsibilities. Serving as a role model of my team is not an easy job. However, I follow a perfect work planning in order to serve my duties properly. Moreover, I try to understand the standards that have to be maintained in order to to achieve the ultimate objectives of the organization and handle the tasks maintaining the delicacy.
Through my work and my behavior and the way I represent myself within the organization, I try to set an example for my team so that it becomes easier for my team members to play the role of an effective as well as an efficient team player.
2. What are the main causes of stress at your work and how do you manage your stress?
In order to maintain a smooth workflow, a good working environment is needed. The various causes of stress at my workplace can be such as interruptions of the peer, last minute jobs, confusions regarding job role, ad-hoc as well as unorganized meetings.
Managing the stress effectively and being productive for the betterment of the organization need some efforts and plannings. First, the objective and the job role have to be understood clearly. Tasks should be prioritized according to the deadlines or the relevancy and importance. Ad-hoc meetings that are not going to add any extra value to the job can be avoided in order to be able to utilize that time. One has to remain positive and should try to avoid unnecessary peer interruptions as much as possible. It is always better to be able to accept the situations and things that are beyond your control.
3. How do you develop, maintain and project professional competence?
Organizations hire employees according to the hard skills, soft skills and work habit skills that they possess. Hard skills ensure that employees are able to handle the technological advancements efficiently. Through the hard skills me and my team members possess, we ensure that we are keeping ourselves updated according to the market movements as well as client’s requirements. In order to ensure this, we try to arrange for proper educational as well as professional training for the employees of the organization.
Soft skills ensure the skills regarding interpersonal, communication, report writing, and negotiation. By improvising the skills, you already possess you can become an effective team player.
Your work habits reflect your attitudes. Having good work habit skills can make you an asset to the organization. You have to consider the organization’s success over your own and have to perform in such a way so that you can do anything for the ultimate betterment of your organization.
1. Analyze your work program for the next month and write a list of all the things you hope to get done in that time frame. Using the AIM prioritization Matrix sorts the tasks into the four categories: Future relevance, Current Relevance, Irrelevance, and Peripheral.
Refer to Appendix 1
2. Create a plan for the first week by creating a “To Achieve” list. Include an estimate of time to complete for each task. After the first week reviews your progress against the plan and answers the following:
- What new activities were added to the list? What quadrant were they in?
Within the Current Relevance Quadrant, the activities that have been added are the issues of the system affecting the clients, requirement of coverage of both sick as well as bereavement leave, managing the market movement in order to meet the requirement of the other teams considering a deadline of 5 days.
Future Relevance quadrant involves the requirement of providing proper training to the employees regarding a product that has been recently launched.
- What activities were not completed due to changing demands? What quadrant were they in?
In the current relevance, checking of spot agreement was delayed.
In the future relevance, PWP assignment was also delayed.
- What is the implication of this for your monthly work plan?
Checking of spot agreement was delayed which may cause a risk for the business.
Personally, I think, my educational training has been delayed.
- What can you do to establish a better balance?
In order to establish a better balance, some work can be distributed among other members who can utilize it to enhance their personal development. This work distribution will ensure effective and efficient time management and the other members will also get benefitted.
3. Take any appropriate action you can see to reduce the time you spend in less productive quadrants and write your “To Achieve” list with time estimates for week 2.
In my “To Achieve” List, I would add the things such as checking for spot agreement that will provide a peer review guidance, creating a guidance for handling the leave management of the team, weekly reporting of the work in progress, arranging training schedule.
4. What feedback did you receive as well as actively seek to assist you in prioritizing your work and establishing work plans? How important and useful was this feedback?
I talked to my respective manager regarding the time management issue. I explained to him how empowerment, as well as the distribution of work, can provide better and effective time management for both me and my team.
5. Plan of Action- At the end of week two analyze your achievements and identify which tasks were relevant to your actual responsibilities in your role, which was not, and why you did any tasks which were not related to your job role. Outline what actions you plan to take to manage or prevent these unanticipated tasks from reoccurring?
I gave the empowerment to my team members regarding the leave management of the entire team by providing them certain rules. For instance, in a week, only 2 members can take leave. This will ensure better and effective time management as I can concentrate on my own jobs and I do not have to waste time on the discussion regarding their respective leave issue. They can consult with each other and take leave accordingly.
Interruptions of the peer affect the smooth workflow. In order to maintain the smooth workflow without any kind of peer interruption, a peer checking can be established. This will ensure better and effective time management.
Maintaining a healthy work environment within the organization is very important. If employees can give their best to their individual work, the organization will be benefitted in order to achieve the set of objectives.
Those employees, who are efficient with handling the issues regarding systems, I nominated them as the trainers to provide necessary training to others so that each individual become familiar with the advancements of the technology and can work effectively.
All these activities will ensure a better work environment within the organization. Each of my employees will be able to act as an effective team player that will result in the ultimate success of the organization.
This task involves some reflection on your current skill levels, thinking of where you want to be career-wise in the next two years and some planning for how to get there.
Review your current top work priorities or key performance indicators and then reflect on your current levels of competency and consider any gaps in your skills that may inhibit your achievement. Now reflect on what your next career step may be, in your response;
– Identify what skills you will need to develop to take this next step.
I have to complete my diploma degree in Management.
– Identify your learning style and work out the best, most efficient and effective way to develop yourself in the areas you have identified.
In order to develop myself more, I need to be more involved in the projects regarding management. I do have a good working style but to be more effective I have to get involved with more managerial projects.
– Consider training, reading, web-searching, electronic and face to face networking, joining professional associations, opportunities for on the job training i.e. involvement in a new project, coaching or mentoring from a colleague.
Refer to Appendix 2
– Provide in detail your personal development plan for the next two years. Yours are required to submit this plan as part of your assessment.
Time Period: June 2015 to June 2016
Focus: Development regarding role of Team Leader
Managing the Project
Capabilities to move for the outcomes
Providing proper training and coaching for the team development
Handling the conflicts in an efficient way
Actions regarding Development
1. Creating IDPs for each team member by using the coaching approach. Improvising own listening skills. Asking for feedback.
Time period: Starting Time: next week. One development action per week.
Costing: Not Applicable.
2. Creating own IDP by working with both my Manager as well as HR.
Time Period: This Week.
Costing: Not Applicable.
3. Important Books to read
– Tribes by Seth Godin
– Strengths-based Leadership by Tom rath & Barry Conchie
– The Right to Lead by John C. Maxwell
Costing: Approx $35 per book
Time Period: Approx 1 every 2nd week.
4. Practicing what I have learned so far. Collecting feedback on my own effectiveness.
Time period: next 2 years
5. Finding role models in order to meet my own development needs. Interviewing each role model, jotting down the tips as well as advice so that I can take help of them. Asking them for feedbacks.
Carraccio, C. (2014). Competency 3. Manage conflict between personal and professional responsibilities. Academic Pediatrics, 14(2), pp.S84-S85.
Fajardo CastaÃ±eda, J. (2014). Learning to Teach and Professional Identity: Images of Personal and Professional Recognition. PROFILE Issues in Teachers’ Professional Development, 16(2), pp.49-65.
Ferguson, K. (2007). Personal and Professional Development (PPD) Facilitators’ Guide. MedEdPORTAL Publications.
Gutz, S., Wasserman, A. and Spier, M. (1981). Personal Development Systems for the Professional Programmer. Computer, 14(4), pp.45-53.
Horak, C. (2009). How Peter Drucker influenced my personal and professional development. Leader to Leader, 2010(S1), pp.50-53.
Hulse-Killacky, D. (1993). Personal and Professional Endings. The Journal of Humanistic Education and Development, 32(2), pp.92-94.
Cupples, A. (2005). Manage personal work priorities and professional development. Croydon, Vic.: Tertiary Press.
Doyle, K. (1998). Learning guide for unit 1. Sydney: Prentice-Hall.
Prepare WIP report, managing team leave, completion of PWP module.
Checking the spot compliance, proper delivery of training, arranging team meeting, completion of 1 on 1 team meetings.
Investigations regarding the complaints.
Table 1: Template
|Opportunity for Development||Development Competency Actions||Time Frame|
|Increasing the knowledge regarding other departmental requirements and impacts of it on my team.||Maintaining a regularity of Team leader meetings.||3 months|
|Understanding individual work as well as personal goals of my team members||PDP setting of each individual, arranging 1 on 1 meeting on a daily basis||2 months|
|Training regarding Internal Leadership||Communicating with the HR regarding this internal training session.||1 month|
Table 2: Professional Development Plan