SIT737 SERVICE ORIENTED ARCHITECTURES AND TECHNOLOGIES
ASSIGNMENT 2 (DUE 28.05.2011)
HIS ASSIGNMENT IS WORTH 15% OF THE FINAL GRADE.
TOTAL: 40 POINTS
This assignment is designed to test:
1. Your ability to program a Web Services based application using the .NET environment.
Assignment Rules and Submission Policy
• This assignment is an individual assignment. Collaborative work is not permitted and constitutes
• It should be completed in its entirety (i.e., all questions must be attempted.)
• The due date for the assignment is Monday 28.05.2012 (9.00 a.m).
• NOTE: All on-campus students should demonstrate their working .NET applications during their
allocated tutorial session in Week 12 (week of 28.05.2012). Failure to demo will result in forfeit of
the marks. (This does not apply to off-campus students).
• The assignment should be submitted with an assignment cover sheet through DSO. Assignments
without a cover sheet will not be accepted or marked. Hard-copy and e-mail submissions are not
acceptable and will not be marked.
• Students who do not submit by the due date will have their mark reduced. The faculty rule for this
Work submitted late without documented approval of the Unit Chair will be penalised. Assignments
that are submitted after the submission date will be subject to a mark penalty equal to 10% of the
marks per day of the marks available for the piece of work, up to and including three days after the
published due date. Assignments submitted more than three days after the published submission
date will not be marked.
For any clarification regarding the assignment description or requirements, please post your
query under the “Assignment 2 Clarifications” thread on DSO. Please ensure that your query
has not already been addressed in the thread prior to posting a question.
ASSIGNMENT TASK (40 POINTS)
1) Develop and test a Web services based application that meets the following requirements applying
SOA design principles.
a) Basic requirements and assumptions
i) The application should be developed using the .NET programming environment. However,
you are free to use any programming language you are comfortable with but supported by
the .NET development environment.
ii) The system to be implemented is a ‘CONVERSION’ service that can perform based on
user input and preferences, the following conversions: temperature (Centigrade to
Fahrenheit), distance (Kilometres to Miles), and height (Inches to Centimetres).
iii) The system should implement both forward and reverse conversions. (e.g., Centigrade to
Fahrenheit and Fahrenheit to Centigrade) depending on user preference.
iv) The system should be implemented as a complex service
that includes a controller/master
service that is responsible for interacting with the client application.
v) A response should be sent back to the client and displayed on the screen with all user
interaction through a GUI.
vi) Your design should incorporate SOA principles
The figure below shows a possible architecture for the system to be developed.
1) The client does not have knowledge of the individual web services. It must make
use of the services of the controller for consuming any web service.
the controller has knowledge of all available web services.
Your submitted solution must comprise of a set of documents:
(i) VS2010 project files
(ii) A basic user manual including test data: input and output, and screenshots of the
XTRA CREDIT (5 POINTS)
1. The client application and web services are implemented using different programming languages
(e.g., client in VB and Web Services in C#).
- Processor : a minimum of 568 MHz Pentium Processor
- Display : 1024 * 768, True Type Color-32 Bit
- Keyboard : Any window Supported Keyboard.
v Hard Disk : 4 GB
v RAM : 64 MB
- Mouse : Any Normal Mouse.
- Operating System :Windows XP Professional
- Front End : ASP.NET
- ASP.NET (C#).
- FRAMEWORK : 3.5
Test Data and screenshot
But you can order it from our service and receive complete high-quality custom paper. Our service offers TECHNOLOGY essay sample that was written by professional writer. If you like one, you have an opportunity to buy a similar paper. Any of the academic papers will be written from scratch, according to all customers’ specifications, expectations and highest standards.”