Comment on the view that, despite the existence of many initiatives, sustainable tourism practices have not spread across the industry because the stakeholders of tourism are still divided on how to improve the sustainability of tourist destinations.
Travel and tourism can be one of the most profitable and emerging sector for the economic consideration and the development of the economy at a global context. Government is also aware of this industry and the umpteen of opportunities behind this industry and now with the combined effort of the industry people and CEOs, it got a effective and strong consideration and with the help of essential data and facts they also came up with an effective and integrated results regarding the huge market for the travel and tourism across the globe. L
The main challenges for travel and tourism industry today is:
- Promoting awareness of travel and tourism as an emerging and profitable market sector: The most important aspect was to make the people aware about the immense potential and growth opportunity in this sector at a global context to many organizations have come up which have taken the initiative to make the common people aware about this sector.
- Promoting awareness of travel and tourism industry contribution to the economy: Common people were also not aware about the strength of the potential of travel and tourism industry which would also add advantage to the micro and macro-economic conditions of the world economy.
- Reducing barriers to growth and entry to the travel and tourism sector: They also worked to reduce the entry barriers in this sector to increase the competition in the market and the immense job opportunities and also to encourage the business opportunities in this sector.
Discovery and curiosity gives birth to the motivation for the travelling and the adventures of the travelling. We see somewhere or we hear from someone about some places and we get encouraged or curious to know more about the particular place. It makes us more curious to discover more about the particular place and encourage us to go for travelling at last to see the color of joy and adventure.
It is very much required to have zeal to discover more about the particular place or the aspects of the particular place to get the optimal curiosity that will make us forced to get ready to go anywhere in the world to discover more about the place or the aspects related to the particular place. It also makes us more adventurous and motivated that helps in learning more about the particular place. So it is the responsibility of various stakeholders, NGO’s and government to promote the travel and tourism industry of their own particular country at international level.
Sustainability of International Tourism
International tourism can be the most effective and profitable sector across the world for the economic consideration and the sustainability. But the main concern is the effective and optimal utilization of the available resources and its utility for the long run of the tourism industry and to make it more sustainable and competitive for the better growth opportunities in future.
Tourism industry is depended and backed by various supplementary services such as the transportation services, travelling services, financial services, professional services, hospitality services and many more. This indicates the vast and huge range of industry and economic integration of the International tourism across the globe.
If we make a proper and strategic use of all these aspects then it will be a kind of the most emerging and effective sector and the future growth opportunities will also rise accordingly. Many developing countries have included various other industries and introduced these services to the tourism industry to make an effective and integrated considerations of tourism industry and to make it more sustainable based and supported by the other supporting services.
There are various issues that are linked with the implementation of the sustainability of the various aspects in international tourism such as the non competitive forces and the unavailability of the competition factors and competitive forces in the tourism industry. There is no such kind of competition in this industry that will make an effective and strong determination of the market players in the tourism industry. Most of the parts are still in government hand and that is the main reason for the non existence of the competitive forces in the tourism industry. To make it more flexible and competitive the new and private players must be encouraged to this industry and this will result in increase of competitive forces and their implications in international tourism.
Business operations of tour operators again creating an issue for the developing countries to encourage the tourism in those developing countries. The tour operators and agents negotiate with the customers and they indulge in the operations of tourism services of developed countries due to the high commission and profitability aspects that are being provided by the developed countries that is quite high in comparison to the developing countries. So this is creating an issue for the developing countries and forcing them to compete with the competition in the global market.
Economic impact of International Tourism
There are various economic impact and advantages of International tourism can be illustrated in direct and indirect manner. Direct effect can be seen as the current financial implications of the tourism industry and its effect on the particular economy such as the employment opportunities. Indirect effect can be seen as the tax implication and other liabilities that is being undertaken by the government policies.
Higher tourism multiplier effects have been noted for the developed countries compared to the developing countries (Erdogen, 1995). This implies that building new contributions of tourism industry leads to the direct effect on the employment consideration in that particular country. Developed countries get more benefit compared to the less developed or developing countries due to less opportunity cost incurred by the developed countries compared to the developing countries.
As we know that the sustainable tourism concept works on the cost minimization and the profit maximization. It has a better implications of the socio-economic involvement of the people to make it more profitable and attractive industry for the better growth and earning opportunities.
Sustainable tourism is more oriented towards the local community and stakeholders that will lead to the profit maximization for the economy in an effective and efficient manner.
There are basically three main aspects of the sustainable tourism:
- Environmentally: It has a better environmental implications compared to the traditional tourism. There are better implications of the environmental aspects that is more natural and that explores the new tourism aspects and opportunities for the particular economy.
- Socially and Culturally: Sustainable tourism has again a clear conceptualization for the cultural and social aspect of the particular community. It has a better implication of the local culture and the society that leads to the socially and culturally developed tourism considerations and its better chances of growth for future perspective.
- Economically: As it is more focused towards the local economy, so we can easily demonstrate the economic aspects of the sustainable tourism that is again more beneficial and focused towards the local community that will have a better chances for the development of the particular economy.
These are the most important and effective aspects that leads to the more attraction towards the implications and consideration of sustainable tourism by the developing countries.
According to the World Travel and Tourism Council and the World Tourism Organization (WTO), tourism and its related economic activities generate 11 percent of total Global Domestic Product, employ 250 million people, and transport nearly 800 million international travelers per year. World tourism grew by an estimated 7.8% in 2002, its highest growth rate in nearly a decade, and almost doubles the increase of 1999. As per the reports more than 700 million people traveled to a foreign country in 2001, spending more than US $476 billion, an increase of 4.5% over the previous year. This figure is predicted to double by the end of 2020.
Sustainable tourism requires a compact management and planning consideration for the better implications of the tourism aspects that will help the economy to grow effectively with the help of tourism development and growth. There are various ways and methods of the identification of the stakeholders that can further be associated with the community for the better growth opportunities and its expansion to the global level.
Local community and group of people may be the most effective stakeholders for the sustainable tourism. It has an impact on the local community as it is more dependent and involved in the local community and this has an impact on the lifestyle, social consideration of the local stakeholders of the sustainable tourism.
Geographical community: The community or group of the people, who all live in the same geographical area. They make an effective geographical guidance for the tourists and this results in the better understanding of the tourist places and their importance to the tourists. As the tourist comes not only to see or visit the places but also to know about the historical and other situational importance of the particular tourist places and if they are not getting the specific knowledge about the particular place then their interest will reduce and that may result in the less number of the tourist to the particular place or monuments. To make it more interactive and effective, we need to make it more effective and customer centric.
Functional Community: The group of people who may not be from the same geographical areas but may indulge in the same kind of the aspects of cultural consideration, social aspects and other implications. They again provide a better chances and opportunity for the betterment of the sustainable implications of the tourism in that particular country.
Contribution to the economic growth: Tourism has an extensive growth and considerations for the particular economy. But the main concern is to develop such kinds of situation and their implications that may attract the people and they get forced to come in every season to make it more effective tourist place and this will help in the more customer attraction.
Issues with the sustainable tourism and its development:
Sustainable tourism is still facing a lot of issues and practical implications due to some external and internal causes and various other aspects are also working behind this inefficiency. To make it more sustainable we need to take some prior steps that will have better practical implications and will also help in making the whole aspects more independent rather than being dependent over few aspects. If we will be having a number of concepts and their practical implications then no need to being stick with the single resource for the better growth opportunities and futuristic concepts.
There are various other issues which need to be reduced for the stakeholder’s attraction and their involvement to the industry:
- Lack of awareness of the potential advantages of the sustainable tourism: There is a big question mark in this regards, still most of the community are unaware about the huge opportunities and profitability aspects behinds this concept of sustainable development. To make it more effective we need to make the local community group more sustainable and confident to learn and imply the kind of the workmanship they need to show the immense potential behind this sustainable tourism.
- Market opportunities: There are immense market opportunities available for the sustainable tourism. This is like an untapped market. So obviously there are more chances of growth and opportunity for the long run of the economic considerations.
- Low cost and high profit compared to the traditional tourism: The most important aspect is the cost incurred in it. It is a kind of the low cost and high profit business opportunity. To make the people understand and educated about this business aspect. Then they will be interested to implement the changes in their social, cultural and financial aspect of the organization.
These aspects will have a sure and certain implication and that will result in the effectiveness and efficiency of the tourism for the economic growth.
As we have already seen in the report that the concept of sustainable tourism is an effective concept but due to lack of local people interest, it is being used and utilized in non effective way. The lack of stakeholder’s interest is again a cause of the low growth in the sustainable tourism. Lack of government interference is also there for the better growth opportunities if being used and utilized in an effective and improved manner.
As per the report analysis it is quite obvious that the growth opportunities are there in this industry but due to lack of information or proper guidance, the community people and the local government are not very much interested and attracted towards the implications of the sustainable tourism. Although there are great chances of growth and opportunity for the economy, they are not very much concerned about the implications and profitability aspects of the sustainable tourism for the long term perspective.
There are various economic implications also concerned with the sustainable tourism but due to lack of chance and opportunity of the implications we are able to gain the maximum advantage of the sustainable tourism at global level.
To make proper and effective use of the resources and opportunities we need to make an effective tool that may result in better growth opportunity and perspective we need to undertake various steps and strategies, which are as follows:
- Effective training to the local community: There is a great need of training and development to the local people and community to make them understand the immense potential of the sustainable tourism. They will be getting the chances to make their community more powerful and famous across the globe. That will directly push the economic growth and opportunities. We need to develop a kind of program to teach them the growth opportunity and the considerations for the future perspective.
- Educate them regarding the immense potential of the sustainable tourism: Sustainable tourism is the main concern here in the case. There are various questions which are still unanswered. To make them understand about the high growth opportunities and the significance of the sustainable tourism, we need to develop some strategic planning and then we need to implement those strategies for the better understanding of the significance of the sustainable tourism and they can rely on those strategies and develop the new perspective for the better growth of local community and the economy as well.
- Stakeholder’s interest and their advantages: Stakeholders are the most important aspect of any industry. Same things implies with the sustainable tourism industry. If the stakeholders are not taking interest in the industry then there is no chances of the growth and development of the industry. To make the stakeholders more interested towards the significance and growth/profitability of the sustainable tourism, we need to make them understand the various growth opportunities which are associated with the sustainable tourism.
- Economic development: Sustainable tourism is a great source of the economic development as it is one of the most emerging service sectors in the market. To make a proper utilization of the available resources/natural resources we can make a proper strategy and then work upon it. This will surely lead to the economic development and growth with additional features and values to the resources available to us.
- Socio-cultural implications and their advantages: Sustainable tourism has its socio-cultural significance and various other significances are also associated with this. To make the effective utilization of these features and significance we can make a proper and strategic planning to make a round-o-clock utilization of the available resources and our social and cultural implications to make the effective and inevitable use for the growth and development.
If we could implement these aspects successfully then there is no doubt that we will be able to make a profitable aspect in terms of sustainable tourism. Although it is a good source and opportunity of the economy for the opportunity of economic development but due to non utilization of the proper resources it may result in the lack of development of the community the economy.
Britton, S.G. (1982). The political economy of tourism in the third world. Annals of Tourism Research, Vol. 9, No.3, pp.331-358.
Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E. (1991). Trade, knowledge spillovers and growth. European Economic Review, Vol. 35, No.2-3, pp.517-526.
Wilson, K. & Kulendran, N. (2000). Is there a relation between International trade and international travel. Applied Economics, Vol. 32, No.8, pp.1001-1009.
TOURISMOS: AN INTERNATIONAL MULTIDISCIPLINARY JOURNAL OF TOURISM Volume 5, Number 1, Spring 2010, pp. 131-152
Drumm, Andy and Alan Moore. 2005. An Introduction to Ecosystem Planning, Second Edition. The Nature Conservancy, Arlington, Virginia, USA.
Gutierrez, Eileen, Kristin Lamoureux, Seleni Matus, and Kaddu Sebunya. 2005. Linking Communities, Tourism, & Conservation: A Tourism Assessment Process – Tools and Worksheets. Conservation International and the George Washington University
But you can order it from our service and receive complete high-quality custom paper. Our service offers Tourism essay sample that was written by professional writer. If you like one, you have an opportunity to buy a similar paper. Any of the academic papers will be written from scratch, according to all customers’ specifications, expectations and highest standards.”